Tuesday, February 2, 2010

my first tutorial of the cutest dress EVER!

This is my best refashion and my first tutorial
{so forgive me for leaving out some pictures of steps}!
I used 3 different shirts and transformed them to
1 fabulous (if I may say) dress.
So I got a large men's collared shirt at the thrift store for $2.
I buttoned up and sewed the opening shut. Then I cut off the sleeves and the top collar
part as you can see in the picture below.
I cut it to where I could have the shirt pocket on the skirt without having to move it.
Then I took a stretchy rib knit tank top (given to me FREE!)
and cut off the bottom 6 inches
(this will vary, depending on the length of your torso) for the waistband.
I had to take this in a bit, to make it more fitted, but still stretch.

I bought a fitted long-sleeved gray t-shirt (forgot before pic!) from
Target and cut it off where I wanted the waistband to start.
Save the piece you cut off for ruffles (*will add how-to pics later)

For the skirt part, I used a skirt I own that had a shape I wanted.
I wanted this dress to be a few inches longer.

I then sewed my side seams (about a 1/2 in.).

This is where I really forgot pictures, but if you sew at all this is very easy.
I matched up side seams and sewed together the skirt to the waistband, then top-stitched.
Then the gray tee to the other side of the waistband. I added the ruffles (which I learned from the many other tutorials out there) before this step.
Here is a close-up of the inside of the waist/skirt part that
shows the seam and the top-stitching
and here she is!!
{click pics to enlarge}
ruffle detail...
waistband
I LOVE it... if you have ANY questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them!

Linking up to:

8 comments:

Joyeful said...

Ummm...WOW! This is pretty fabulous!!! Love the dress and I'm still not sure how exactly you did it!

Unknown said...

Hello....show me a photo if you make the placemat bag! I'm going to make your dress, it's such a great idea!

~Lauri
http://knitsandreads.blogspot.com

Courtney said...

This is awesome! Seriously cool! Great job!

Courtney@ RedHeadsCraftMoreFun

Tarnished Rose said...

Gorgeous dress! I love it.

Smiles~
Marilyn

Morgan//Nuts and Bows said...

SOOOO stinking cute I just love it!

~Morgan

http://meetvirginiaandroo.blogspot.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MeetVirginiaShop

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

WOW! This is the ultimate refashion! :) Thanks so much for linking up to DIY Diva Thursdays :)

Kara
www.mineforthemaking.com

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

WOW! This is the ultimate refashion! Love it! Thanks so much for linking up to DIY Diva Thursdays :)

Kara
www.mineforthemaking.com

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

You're a Featured DIY Diva!! Come on over and grab a featured button :)

Kara
www.mineforthemaking.com

PS- Id love for you to link up again this week to DIY Diva Thursdays :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails