Friday, March 5, 2010

let's hear it for the birds

I LOVE birds, nests, eggs, and birds and nests and eggs...
and I'm lovin' the spring goodies that Hobby Lobby is having right now!
look at these cute salt and pepper shakers I found!
they're what I had pictured in my head before I knew they existed :)

What can you do with a dollar store metal tray?
I wanted to make a little welcoming monogram to hang by the front door.

I was going to do a picture by picture tutorial but it didn't go exactly as I planned. I wanted to give it an aged look with some antiquing glaze but it wouldn't stay in the recesses on the flat tray part. so I took it outside and sprayed it very lightly with an off-white paint. that sort of gave it more texture for the glaze to stick to.

I then printed out the egg and birdie graphic that I had and glued them to the tray. using a font I liked I printed the monogram out and used a razor to cut it out and roughly trace it onto the tray. I painted it in using a charcoal grey paint. I mod podged over it all then used a little greyish blue paint around the edges in the recesses.

I broke out the hot glue gun and attached some burlap and satin-y ribbon bow to the front then about 2 feet of ribbon on the back to hang it with.
I love how it turned out! so spring-y and so me...

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I love what you did with that dollar tray! I have been decorating a lot with birds lately, maybe because I am so ready for spring. I really like your birdies!
Have a great weekend!

Lindsey Stephens said...

love it! i have an obsession with birds too! i really want to find an old birdcage somewhere! thats on my list to look for!

Related Posts with Thumbnails